Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Homemade Oreo Cookies

Ok I will admit it. Oreos are a favorite guilty pleasure of mine. And I'm not biased--I love Oreos, Newman-Os, Tuxedos, and the wide variety of flavors they all come in.

Though I have yet to try the "Triple Double"

So to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the Oreo cookie, I decided to roll up my sleeves and try my hand at the homemade version. I decided to go with the Food Network version of the recipe, which I will re-print here, in full, as it appears on their website. Though I found them tasty and received compliments, I feel there could have been adjustments made to make a better cookie and filling (believe me, I will try!) My notes are posted below in italics.

Ingredients:


For the Dough:
1 1/3 cups Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the Filling:
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Prepare the dough: Sift together the cocoa powder, flour and salt in a large bowl.

Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla, incorporating each ingredient before adding the next. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.

Divide the dough into 2 pieces; place on piece between 2 lightly floured sheets of parchment paper and roll into a 1/4-inch-thick rectangle. Repeat with the other piece of dough. Refrigerate both rectangles, covered with the parchment sheets, until firm, at least 1 hour or up to several days.

Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut the dough into 64 circles (you can reroll the scraps once). Place the cookies about 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets and chill for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Bake the cookies until they are set and slightly darker around the edges, about 20 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.

Meanwhile, prepare the filling: Using a mixer, cream the butter and shortening until fluffy. Beat in the confectioner's sugar and vanilla.

Flip half of the cookies upside down and top each with 1 level tablespoon of filling. Press the remaining cookies on top to make sandwiches. Yields 32 cookies.

courtesy of the food network.


Baker's Notes:
While these cookies were a hit at movie night, I wasn't 100% satisfied with the outcome. 

The Cookie: 
First off, the cookie itself was incredibly hard and crunchy. Part of that was due to slight overcooking on my part, and I heartily suggest you take your cookies out at 15 minutes if your oven tends to run on the warm side. But the other thing to note would be the ratio of cocoa powder to flour. It made the dough incredibly hard to mix and stiff to roll out. On my next attempt, I will try a recipe with more flour and less cocoa. 
I also used a 2" cookie cutter and these were far too big for their density. I would highly recommend a 1" cookie cutter to make the oreo true to size. I'd recommend check the cookies at 10 minutes. 

The Filling:
While the filling was very sweet and had the right consistency, I am not the biggest fan of uncooked shortening--too oily for my tastebuds. However, if I had made these smaller and the dough softer, I would have used less of the filling in each cookie. This might have fixed the problem.
An alternative filling that was more like a buttercream would be more to my liking.

Fortunately, I have found a recipe that meets this new criteria! It's from My Kitchen Addiction, a site which I have personally never used before, but it seems to take the issues I had and fixed them without much trial and error. You can find the recipe here.

It uses more flour and less cocoa powder, as well as a shortening-free filling. Perhaps next movie night these will be on the menu. Whenever they are, I promise a complete, updated report!


Happy Snacking!
Antonia

No comments:

Post a Comment