Monday, May 7, 2012

Matt's Magical Metric Cookies!


Ok, I admit it. Using the imperial, or "standardized" measurement system isn't the most precise way to bake. Scientists have switched over to the metric system so honestly, why can't bakers? Well, it's pretty difficult to undo a habit I have had for years. Cups and teaspoons are so convenient, and it is the best way for me, as a casual baker and blogger, to share my recipes with everyone.

However, a few months ago I received an awesome gift--a kitchen scale! Will's brother Matt is a wonderful baker, and he has converted me. That's right--I now use the metric system for my serious baking. I do a lot of estimating in my baking, so a lot of my more casual recipes are still done with a cup, a pinch, and a dash. But things like Matt's amazing chocolate chip cookies have been perfected, and its best to follow the recipe to the gram!

I think the best part about using a scale is that you can add ingredients straight from the original container. Just zero out your scale after each addition to one bowl to save time and cleanup! Here's a "how to" guide.

adding shortening to the sugar after zeroing out my scale

So if you are feeling adventurous, and you want an amazing batch of cookies, try Matthew Poulin's Chocolate Chip Cookies!

Ingredients:
168 grams unsalted butter (at room temp)
56 grams Crisco vegetable shortening (at room temp)
2 large eggs (113 g)
72 grams light brown sugar
175 grams vanilla granulated sugar (I substituted with regular sugar and vanilla extract)
460 grams cake flour (I substituted with all-purpose flour, which I buy in bulk)
6 grams baking soda
6 grams salt
*12 grams (15 ml) vanilla extract* if using regular granulated sugar
360 grams chocolate chips (high end)
 note: I use Guittard Semisweet Chocolate Chips, available at your local Safeway. If there is one ingredient you splurge on in this recipe--trust me, the high quality chocolate chips are the one! One bag, 340g, will suffice.


Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Cover cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a freestanding mixer, mix together both sugars until well combined. Add the butter and shortening, creaming together until light and fluffy, making sure to scrape down the bowl. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs one at a time (and the vanilla extract, if needed). Mix until all ingredients are well blended--do not over mix.

creaming the butter and sugar

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the flour to the butter/egg mixture, keeping the mixer on low. Mix until well combined.


Add the chocolate chips to the mixture and stir in with a spoon. Scoop the dough onto the cookie sheets in well rounded tablespoons. Bake for 11-17 min or until golden brown.

note: Matt recommends using a spring loaded ice cream scoop in whatever size you choose (cooking times will vary based on the size). I have a medium sized scoop--holds about two tablespoons and makes a decent sized cookie. Bake time is approximately 12-13 min.


Let the cookies cool on a rack for 5-10 minutes (if you can resist them!)


Enjoy! Thanks for the amazing recipe, Matt!


Happy Snacking!
Antonia

No comments:

Post a Comment