Saturday, June 23, 2012

Finally...some good ol' fashioned scones!

Ok, I'll admit it. Lately my blog has looked more like a love letter to Alton Brown than a baking blog. I'm sorry--I do miss my experimentation in the kitchen, but really, after 14 seasons on the air, Good Eats has produced some quality recipes.

Recently, my two main stress reducers have been baking and running (at least they balance each other out...right? right?). And I really got hooked on Good Eats for the first time in my life! Now I know this is old news to some--heck, he was the culinary Bill Nye to all kids growing up at the turn of the century.  So recently I've spent my evenings catching up on a lifetime's worth of quality programming. Then, of course, putting that knowledge to good use.

although sock puppets haven't reduced my fear of yeast...

I've been in a pickle for a long time. I love scones. When I was living in London, cream tea (that is, scone, clotted cream, jam, and tea) was a staple for me. In fact, many a lunch I ate at the V&A was just a cream tea.

Scones in America just don't cut it. They're overblown, sugary treats--especially those maple and pumpkin confections stocking your local Starbucks. Biscuits, though closer, don't have the same consistency or oomf factor. I've looked at many recipes online--butter v shortening, egg v no egg, and varying amounts of sugar. Nothing was ever right for me. Scones should be simple!

So when I was craving a cream tea the other day, I decided to turn to my new friend AB. As usual, he delivered. I substituted the shortening for all butter (I like it that way better), and the heavy cream for whole milk (because that's all I had in the house). It worked really well, but I think I will try it the Alton way next time, just to compare. Perhaps they will be a little less doughy and a little more crumbly.


I also picked up a few tips last year from Matt Poulin, and I will input his comments below. Without further ado, here is the recipe. With my substitutions, of course.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar (I may decrease this to 1/4 next time)
6 tablespoons cold butter (sub out 2 tbsp with shortening for AB)
3/4 cup whole milk (cream for AB)
1 egg

Optional Ingredients:
Handful dried currants or cranberries
1 tbsp cinnamon (this is what I used)
1 cup chocolate chips

Extra milk for a glaze
Extra sugar for sprinkling



Directions:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Place parchment on a baking sheet.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar (for me, the cinnamon). Whisk to mix well. In a second bowl, combine the milk and egg and beat.

Cut the cold butter in to the flour mixture with a pastry blender. Matt's Note: don't cut into rice sized pieces. Leave the butter in larger, raisin sized clumps--they will melt this way during baking and produce that famous texture. 




Add the wet ingredients in to the dry, a little at a time. Mix until just combined. Note: like pastry dough, over handling will leave your scones tough and chewyStir in the fruit or chocolate chips at this time. 


Turn the dough out on to a floured work surface. Roll the dough out to approx 1/2 inch and either cut with a biscuit cutter, or use your dough scraper to create triangles pieces. 




Transfer to your parchment lined baking sheet.  Matt's Note: If your dough has become too warm, pop the tray in the freezer for a few minutes to harden before baking. This will keep the butter cold until the bake.




Before baking, brush on an egg and milk wash (careful not to drip on the pan) to enhance browning. If you like, sprinkle some granulated sugar on top. Bake 15 minutes or until brown around the edges.


While the scones are baking, prepare a pot of black tea--english breakfast or assam are my favs--and set the table with butter and jam (oh clotted cream--I miss you!). Once the scones are out, let sit for 5 minutes on a cooling rack before serving.


I love my scones hot out of the oven with melted butter and jam. Next day, I like to reheat for 5 minutes in a 350 degree oven before serving. Although these beauties also taste good cold on a picnic!


And in regards to Alton-based recipes, I hope you can get used to them! He's helped me create some awesome things you'll see in the next few days.

Happy Snacking!
Antonia



No comments:

Post a Comment