Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Very Healthy Banana Bread

Those of you who know me well know that I am always searching for the perfect healthy baked good. "Healthy" cookies have been my main quest, but I have been known to try "sugar free" or "fat free" banana breads from time to time.

And lets face it. Nothing really ever tastes that good. Cookies are meant to be sweet melt-in-your mouth morsels! Quick breads should be moist and crumbly and slathered in butter. The problem with that is, I want to eat it all the time!

So I continue my quest, usually in vain. I made some atrocious low fat banana oatmeal cookies earlier this week. Then, low and behold...I found a recipe!



Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free Oat Flour Banana Bread, courtesy of Plan To Eat. That's a mouthful. And sounds like it has to be gross, right? Where's the flavor? But I tried it and it was aaa-mazing. Seriously!

The recipe calls for oat flour (which can easily be made at home--thanks Alton!), bananas as the only sweetener, and coconut oil instead of butter. I used a little honey as an additional sweetener.

Ingredients:
3 very ripe bananas (medium/large)
1/3 cup melted coconut oil (can find at trader joes)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups oat flour (made from old fashioned oats)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Optional Additions:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or almonds
2 tablespoons honey, splenda, stevia, or agave


Directions:
The first step is to create your oat flour. Preheat your oven to 350 degree F. Scoop 2 overflowing cups of old fashioned oats (not quick cook!) and place them on a large sheet pan. Bake for approx 20 minutes, till the oats begin to turn a bit golden brown.

Place the oats in your food processor (alas, mine is in storage--but a blender works just fine) and chop them until you get a fine flour. Pour in to a medium-size bowl and add the cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.


Mash the bananas by hand and add to the bowl of a stand mixer. Melt the coconut oil in the microwave, stirring occasionally, until it becomes completely clear.

With a paddle attachment, add the coconut oil to the banana and mix on medium speed until fully incorporated. Beat in eggs and vanilla.


Finally, add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, 1/3 at a time until just incorporated. Add in any additional sweetener or nuts at this time.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a loaf pan. 


Add the batter to the loaf pan and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.



Let stand for 5 minutes in the pan before turning out on to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before cutting.

The smell throughout the house was hypnotic. Between the banana and coconut, it had a distinctly tropical aroma. I patiently waited for it to fully cool before diving in, and it was so wonderful. Instead of trying to substitute ingredients for a traditional banana bread, this recipe creates new flavors from healthier ingredients.

I'll admit it was a little dry, but I think toasted with a little butter on top would still make it  a healthy breakfast choice. I am not sure I'll be making the heavier, pound cake-like banana bread any time soon.


Happy Snacking!
Antonia

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post! I really appreciate it! It has been really hard for me to get the hang of gluten-free breads and baked goods. Great instructions, pictures, and recipe. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete